Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Eats

I think you don’t have to be a genius to know that this is the hardest time of the year for keeping a healthy diet! Of course, when you try to eat low fat and no oils nor saturated fats, and low sugar is doubly hard, but generally speaking, the time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s is terror to our arteries and hearts for all of us!

Typically, all during the year, I try to eat just white meat poultry and fish, always. Around this time of the year, however, the options are turkey, duck and ham! I used to buy small Cornish hens (which are actually not that low in fat, really) for Thanksgiving, when I was single, but now, it’s turkey, all the way.

And then, there is the ham! My favorite meat in the whole world, but of which I eat only twice a year – for Easter and Christmas – and maybe New Years, too. Then, all the fixings. If I cook myself, I try to make wise choices: Smart Balance instead of butter, turkey bacon if I want to cook with bacon, 2% milk, fat free shredded cheese for chowders, and the likes. When I do have a choice, I try to be careful what I chose, and use plenty of spices and herbs, to not skimp on the flavor.

In the mornings, and when eating normal meals, not over visits with friends, I stick to my healthy meals – lots of fiber and some greens. Being Eastern Orthodox, I have a “good excuse” to not eat animal products twice a week, from about 6 weeks before, until Christmas, too – so this helps to keep me “in line”, as well. I have kept this tradition since I was a child, mostly for health reasons, and secondly for religious ones.

My husband loves to bake, but lately, he’s been using half the amount of sugar a recipe needs, he replaces butter with vegetable margarine, or Smart Balance, and he makes mostly oatmeal cookies lately – yum! He has also used flaxseed and wheat flours, too.

When I visit other folks, my focus is on portion size, since I have no control over what goes in the dish. I can’t have 15 pieces of ham, no matter how much I love it. And I try to go for the greens – green beans, salads, and no casseroles, if I can, as I am sure everyone uses the “real deal” ingredients in everything else.

We went to our first Christmas party this weekend, and I had a sautéed chicken breast, with mashed potatoes and a spinach salad. I had literally two bites of my husband’s cheesecake, and water to drink. I was full, and never felt like I was missing out. I am somewhat lucky, too, to not care for red meat nor sweets much – so the choices were easier. I also try to focus on the atmosphere and the experience of getting together and celebrating the old year, more than making it about the food.

Just like when I travel, I try not to obsess over the foods on a time like The Holidays. I try to enjoy the moment and tell myself that I can be careful without making my choices the center of my life. In fact, most people that don’t know me very, very well, have no idea I watch what I eat. I always get the “why are YOU dieting? You’re nothing but a little bit!” spiel, and I dread going into details – out of lack of patience more than anything.

But if I go tomorrow, in a middle of a heart attack, I tell you this much: I would regret not having that ham more than I would be proud of myself for always sticking to carrots and cold water fish! There is a time for everything, and at Holidays time, it’s time to enjoy what the table has to offer, but only remember to keep size in check.

Happy Holiday Season to all, and happy eating, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment