Monday, July 27, 2015

Milestone: Breakthrough Drug Approved


I think my family has been dreaming of a day where they can breathe easy and tell themselves "there is something for our child to treat this disease with" since I was 6. That's 34 years ago, for those who are counting. Well, their day might already have come!

 
As you already know by now, the PCSK9 inhibitor drug to treat cholesterol and potentially reduce the risk for atherosclerosis, heart disease and strokes has been approved by the FDA: as stated in this article. 

Europe had approved it the week before.

I am personally excited about the opportunities out there, but although I have access to this drug therapy here in my state, and although I would qualify for it with no problem, I am actually putting off taking it. At $8000-$10,000/ yearly, Cost is one concern, for sure, but the biggest reason is just wanting to wait for a couple of years to see if the results are really what's expected of it, and waiting to see if more long term side effects will be revealed with time. 

I just pray and hope that I will have the luxury of waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong my friend and be hopeful. Just wanted to let you know, though we have not met, you will always be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete