Thursday, December 31, 2015

And Now We Wait ...

I am sure that  the title could repeat itself 100 times in the days to come. After a diagnosis comes, there are long days of waiting, for insurance approvals, medical opinions to factor in, planning on the patient's part - and waiting and planning are, really, a luxury! Some people don't have that choice. Especially, with heart disease, most people get rushed in and under the knife to stay alive. So, this is really, just good. 

We repeated the echo-cardiogram on Christmas Eve, and the readings are right: my aortic velocity is 4.86 m/s (it's normal lower than 2.5 m/s - see this article for values), and the aortic opening is 0.5 cm square. So, all measurements point to one thing only: severe aortic stenosis which requires the aortic valve to be replaced. I guess I could cheat fate for only 40 years before I succumb to heart surgery. I will try my darnest not to "succumb", however, but to come out of it stronger and better. 

Right now, I made an appointment just with my cardiologist, to understand better of how soon we need to do something about this, and possibly to understand what kind of valve it's fitting for me to get. He will also recommend the heart surgeon on that appointment. 

I am a conundrum of questions and doubts, as there are no clear "winning" options for a stress free and doctor free and worry free valve: if we go with a tissue (animal or human) valve, it will require re-operation withinin 10-15 years, if we go with a mechanical (artificial) valve, it will require coumadin daily, which has a ton of side effects and many other health concerns because of heavy bleeding. Not something to take lightly. I am reading and researching all I can, but will know more on the 5th, when the next appointment is. I hope.

It's been a blessing to have some time off during the holidays, just to spend it with my husband and to really wrap our heads around this, but it's also given me much time to worry about things too - which is, of course, premature. 

I hope you all walk into the new year healthy, happy and if not, at least with a heart full of hope that miracles are possible! 

Happy 2016 to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment