Monday, March 21, 2016

A Light One, for a Change

I haven't posted one of these in a while. Open heart surgery gets you distracted like that!

I wanted to share a 100% vegan and so surprisingly yummy dinner combo I made up tonight. Everything is soy free, as well. 

I buy these vegan Marsala burgers at Trader Joe's which are super good, and not too bad for you (0.5 sat fat and 0 trans fat and cholesterol). So I warmed one of those up, then I made a side of cheesy grits with just half a teaspoon of vegan "butter" and half of a teaspoon of vegan cheese, salt and pepper, and then my mom made what I call Romanian coleslaw - it's chopped cabbage and just balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. 

I was dubious of the combo but it turned out like a complete meal and very delicious to top that. 




The finished meal 


2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog while going through my own journey with homozygous FH. I'm in my mid-20s and have a 7 month old daughter and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your experience. I found out about my FH 2 years ago when my work was holding a biometric screening and an insurance discount for anyone who participated. I was so sure i'd pass with flying colors since I was going to the gym 3 times a week and was one of the healthiest eaters of all my friends. I'm also very petite (5ft tall and 95lbs) o you can imagine my surprise when the total number came back somewhere around 600. I went to see my family doctor who referred me to an endocrinologist and shortly after, she told me I had homozygous FH. I took a genetics test, which was inconclusive but took 4 months to produce results, and during that time my husband and I found out we were expecting a baby, so all the possible treatments had to be put on hold. Now that my daughter is a little older, and I'm starting to feel more tired and experiencing some chest pains, I realized how much time has gone by and that I need to take action on my cholesterol asap! As a child I had xanthomas and even went to a doctor to have a large bump removed. But he only checked for cancer cells and cleared me once the results showed that it was benign. It never occurred to us that it could be something else that's just as serious. Both my parents have high cholesterol so I guess I lucked out there...but with a new baby in the picture, I now desperately need to take care of myself and live for someone other than me. Thank you again for sharing your experience. It's really helped me feel less alone and has inspired me to do my due diligence to prepare for what's ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for finding this helpful. MUCH health to you going forward and definitely keep an eye on the baby, as well. Hope she is spared from this.
      What a story you have told, too! I cannot believe the xanthomas didn't raise a flag. I am sure you'll do the right thing to stay on top of it now. Be VERY watchful of the chest pains, and get screened as often as possible and definitely get a regular cardio doctor. I see my cardiologist much more often than my PCP, and this was the case even before my surgery.
      The best of luck!!

      Delete