Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Refill for Praluent APPROVED

This is a continuing story that I am following up from this previous blog post: http://livingwithfh.blogspot.com/2017/01/between-rock-and-hard-place-with.html. Please read that story first, to understand the full context, if you have not followed this from the beginning.

Briefly, I was approved for Praluent last May, in addition to the high dose Lipitor and Zetia I have been taking. In November (6 months since the original approval), my specialty pharmacy required that a pre-authoriaztion was needed in order for them to continue giving me the drug. My doctor's office filed the necessary papers twice with the pharmacy/ insurance company and they were denied the refill both times. Convinced that there was something missing on their paperwork, I decided to appeal a third time myself. I am giving all the reasoning behind why I thought this in the post I linked above. 

And now the update: after my third appeal, the pharmacy approved my refill of Praluent for another 6 months. 

And now the whole story. 

On January 27th, I filed my appeal which was the last one "internal appeal" remaining. I found out that they allow you to appeal three times, "internally", meaning you appeal to the same company that denies you. After that, you can file an "external appeal" which is sent to a third party that evaluates it. So you are no longer dealing with the insurance at that point, but with this other entity. 

When I filed my appeal, I included the following papers:

- the most recent denial letter from them;
- the most recent form faxed by my cardiologist's office to them, and I included the corrections on the form (if you read my previous post you'll see the list of the things they missed when they filed); this included the family history of FH which was not evident in my doctor's papers;
- a letter explaining my case: my long lasting diagnoses with FH, ASCVD, heart problems, atherosclerosis, etc, as well as the fact that I have been approved for this drug before; 
- my heart surgeon's and my cardiologist's phone number and address, in case they needed to confirm anything I was sending in;
- a list of all my diagnoses, which I have downloaded from my cardiologist's web portal;
- a list of all my medications, which I have downloaded from the same place;
- the  discharge papers from last year after my open heart surgery: in there, they list everything they found wrong with my heart (blocked arteries, defective aortic valve and aorta, atherosclerosis), as well as what they did to fix it (quadruple by-pass, replacement of the aorta and aortic valve, aortic arch repair);
- the cholesterol values before I was on Praluent (high 200's for the total cholesterol and mid-200's for the LDL);

Two days ago, I have found a letter from my insurance in the mail with my approval for another 6 months. They mention that they will require a pre-authorization for it again at that time. This time, I think I will cut to the chase and either send the information myself, or go personally to the doctor's office and make my nurse fax exactly what I sent this time. 

I am happy about this outcome, of course, because my numbers are unbelievable on this drug, so I would love to be able to continue the therapy. I am really excited that the drug is still on the market, after the lawsuit that has been developing over the patent (also linked to the previous post). 

Right now, I am just a phone call away from scheduling my next shipment. First, I want to explore some payment options as the $1400 / month bill is a bit high for me. If there are other options for payment or discounts to help with the payment, I would love to know about, and I am exploring those before I call in, but I should be ready to call in a week or less. 

I will update this site if there is any pertinent information about payment options. 

I want to thank the FH Foundation for reaching out to me personally and coaching me through this process. Their wisdom and care for us is amazing and I am forever grateful! 

Stay in touch and stay healthy, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Is $1400 your out of pocket cost, or the total cost you and your insurance company pay together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marilyn,
      So, last year, I asked them how much my share would be if I had not met my deductible and I would have to pay, and they told me $1400 a month - so, I figured that would be my share. However, I have ordered it this year, and I have not my deductible yet, and they told me that there is no copay, when I ordered it. I am still thinking I might get a bill from them, but so far nothing. I ordered the refill about a couple of weeks ago. I know this doesn't really answer it, but I will come back with an update when and if I get any kind of statement from them - they usually send one every couple of months.

      Thanks!

      Delete