Monday, June 20, 2011

Good/ Bad Cholesterol - An Article Link

I found this article written by Dr. Dean Ornish interesting: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-dean-ornish/cholesterol-the-good-the-_b_870655.html.

My HDL is always going lower, if the drugs I take make a difference in my numbers. That's because if they work, they work on all the fractions of cholesterol, and not only on the "bad" one.

And most doctors tell me that it's not good that my HDL (the "good" cholesterol) is also decreasing ... But I have always wondered - as you can see from the article (and as you probably knew), the role of the HDL is to take more bad cholesterol to the liver where it gets processed and flushed out. But my very problem is ... my liver doesn't know what to do with cholesterol! It can have it there all day long, it doesn't know how to process it! That's why it needs the statin drugs. At least that's what I have been told ... So, the increase of HDL would not help much in my case ...

Anyway - I enjoyed the article, especially the part that says " it’s important to look at arteries, not just risk factors" - that's why I feel sorta good at the end of the day knowing that yes, I have high cholesterol still, and yes I have deposits, and yes, I have blockages all over my body, but they have been pretty stationary for the past ... 6 years, from what one can tell in an ultrasound of any sorts.

Just a small silver lining...

No comments:

Post a Comment