Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Other Day


This time of the year is really hard for me to: 

1.    Observe my diet (as you can imagine) 
and 
2.    Observe the Nativity Fast during the days of Wednesday and Friday – which normally, I would like to observe, in preparation for the Christmas feast.

But the other day (a Wednesday), I managed to put together this very simple and very filling meal, for lunch – all vegan and healthy.

I was snowed in, and working from home, so I heated up some already cooked Bush’s vegetarian beans, full of fiber and lacking in all the bad fats, of course. And I paired them with some pickled green tomatoes that my mom so graciously canned for us this fall, from my garden, and with some slices of multi-grain bread.

It was the best lunch I have had in a while and I didn’t even feel like two pigs after eating it! 
The sweetness of the beans was so deliciously paired with the saltiness and freshness of the pickles. The bread just made it a whole meal! 

Just a word of caution for those watching their salt intake: the beans have quite a bit of sodium in them (for preserving, I am sure!). My sodium is low, however, so I am not watching that very closely, although it is recommended to be watched, if you have heart disease and normal or high ranges of it. 

The meal that reminded me of home: simple, unsophisticated, delicious and healthy, too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment