Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What Has the World Come To?!



Happy New Year, everyone! I truly hope it’s happier and healthier for all of us!

I can’t even pretend that I have been “good” for the Holidays, because that was not in the cards for me! I wanted to eat all the traditional Romanian and American foods, and not worry about dieting. And eat I did! And gained weight I did – more precisely around 2 lbs – which is exactly what I lost before Christmas, since summer! So, I guess you can say I broke even.

I have been feeling poorly, though, which was no fun. This made me realize that this was probably the last holiday season when I paid no attention to what I eat. My body cannot take the “regular” foods and excesses, evidently, and my liver and GI system have felt the consequences for sure.

I sped up my doctor’s appointment from February to this week, because I must get to the bottom of where this pain under my right rib is coming from! I am up all night sometimes with it – and I have no idea what triggers it and what makes it feel better – it never does feel better. So, we’ll see. I know for sure it’s not ulcer – because a CT scan and an endoscopy later, there is no proof of that! Hoping they find something that they can treat.

I am also hoping I can keep up my treadmill walking, at least a couple of times a week. I have a new trick to keep me going: I downloaded the NPR app on my iPhone and I listen to Radio West while walking . I know I am not supposed to, that I am supposed to focus and savor every moment, and I am probably encouraging my Alzheimer’s with this new “trick”, because I am multitasking, but for now, whatever works is what I say …  

And this is very much a first for me, in many ways: if 10 years ago you’d told me I’d have a treadmill and that I would one day love listening to NPR, I would have called you nuts. I used to say “if you need to walk, use the road” and I used to hate NPR! But living in the desert and commuting more than an hour a day forces you to re-evaluate your radio choices. And now, I have several programs I am hooked to. I wish all my other weaknesses would be this healthy – to some extent. And with winter temps in the teens for 6 months out of the year, a treadmill is a saving grace. This is precisely why I never say “never”, really.

I don’t make resolutions, but for the new year, I made a wish: that I am at least as healthy as I was last year. Make it a great one, all!




No comments:

Post a Comment