Friday, January 29, 2016

What Cholesterol Does to Your Heart

I chose this title for this post because I find a lot of times in the media that people don't believe that the damage done by cholesterol on our bodies is real. Some people believe that this is all a plot by the drug companies to sell drugs, and that elevated cholesterol does no real damage to your body. My own father says "there is no such thing as normal cholesterol. Every one of us has his/ her 'normal'. And mine is 340! " - this is after having mild strokes before he was 60, and having complete stenosis in his peripheral vessels from living with FH all of his life! 

Today was my heart angiogram, where they wanted to find out "what else is wrong with my heart" so they can fix it in the upcoming open heart surgery. The results of this test were not really reassuring - and all the damage they found is probably all caused by the cholesterol deposits in my blood vessels in my heart and the calcification in my valves.

We already knew I am going to have heart surgery for my aortic valve. They also found out that my mitral valve is leaking, so it will either need reconstruction or replacement. Then, I have a significant (more than 90%) narrowing of my left anterior descending artery (LAD artery) which will require a bypass, as well as moving the surgery from a month away to more like 2 weeks away (according to the cardiologist). Then, I also have an enlarged aorta, which might need a graft. 

I met with both the cardiologist (who did the angiogram) as well as with the surgeon today. The surgeon would like to get a CT scan of my chest and carotids next, to understand exactly the severity of each of these afflictions and to come up with a surgery plan. There will be surgery, we know that for sure, but we're not sure when and how fast we need to move yet (the surgeon did not give me the 2 week away deadline). What exactly will need to be repaired/ redone/ implanted or left alone will remain to be seen yet. More tests on Monday and then appointment with the surgeon to come with a plan and a surgery date. 

I am bummed, really. I probably had a "cleaner" life than the average person, with a strict diet, lots of meds and constant visits to the doctors with lots of tests done to see what's going on. And yet, I am on the verge of a massive surgery. I want to kick this in the gut, and I will use my whole strength to, but this looks much worse than I ever thought. I pray and I hope for the best, and I trust my doctors fully. 

I am never a person who gets lost into the "why"-s and "what if"-s ... because I don't choose to waste my energy this way. I just know more now than I did yesterday and I take one day at a time and try to make decisions that are lasting and will give me comfort and a working life. 

I'll keep everyone posted on what's around the corner as I know more.

Much health! 

2 comments:

  1. Know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. You are quickly becoming and medical professional and that will help in the decisions that you make. Blessings and know that we love you.

    ReplyDelete