Sunday, July 17, 2016

My Current Cholesterol Levels

Last Updated: December 2023
 
I thought this link would be helpful for folks who stop by for the first time, wondering right upfront what are my current lipid numbers. As you all know, these numbers change over time, so I will keep this entry updated with the results of the latest tests. 

My original cholesterol numbers are two-fold: the 1983 numbers below are the first numbers ever recorded. I was not quite 8 at the time. The numbers in 1998 are those that I started with when I moved to the US. I was 23 at the time. They were both taken when I was not yet medicated for high cholesterol, so these are my "normal" numbers. 


1983 (age 8): My levels at original diagnosis in Romania
1998 (age 23): My levels at original diagnosis in the US
Click the picture to see a larger view

My current numbers are in the table below. Please note that the Apolipoprotein B and the Lipoprotein (a) are not measured every time. Although jumps can happen, their values are somewhat constant during your lifetime, unless you have a severe illness (like cancer or an autoimmune disease) in addition to FH. Also, notice that the new guidelines (as of 2021, according to my cardiologist's office) have changed depending on your risk factor. For FH patients or people with a history of heart attack or stroke, or with additional risk factors for cardiovascular disease the normal ranges for HDL and LDL cholesterol are lower (green column) than for people without an underlying cause of cardiovascular disease. 


My levels as of September 2023
Click the picture to see a larger view

If you want to see my drug and food regimen, please visit this page:

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading about my life with HoFH and heart disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment