Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Some Things You'll Have to Do

Today is the day before the pre-op appointment for my open heart surgery. Pre-op tomorrow, surgery the next day.

I took the day off today, to get ready for tomorrow and, to some extent, for the surgery day, too. Alongside some house chores and family and friends' calls that I had to make, I had lots of paperwork to fill out. Just something to know, in case you're wondering. 

There are HR papers from both my and my husband's work (some of it cannot be finished, because the doctors will have a piece to fill out, too); there are also online forms from the hospital that need to be filled out before the pre-op. These are pretty much similar to your standard doctor's office papers, where they ask you about your health history, your allergies, medications you take and the likes. There are some religious affiliation questions, and spiritual practice guidelines added to those, as well.

Then, I had to call my insurance company for extra assurance that the hospital and my surgeon are covered by them - and they are. I checked this months ago, on their website, but we all know that websites can be out of date. I needed the reassurance of a live person to tell me that they do indeed cover the hospital and the surgeon for this.  I also wanted to check if the cardiac rehab after the surgery (something my surgeon strongly suggests I'd follow through with) would be covered, and it is. Up to 36 visits for cardiac rehab are covered.

Once I called them, they asked me if I want to be enrolled in this nurse program, where they give you a hotline with a registered nurse to call and ask any questions of, during recovery. If something looks or feels out of the ordinary and it's the middle of the night, they can save you an ER visit if you can speak with them and just run your concerns by them. They also give you a case manager that will stay with you, through regular phone appointments, after cardiac rehab will be over, 6, 9, 12 months from surgery. I guess I did have selective listening at my work's benefits meeting, or selective reading when I read our paperwork, because I didn't know this is a free benefit that we can take advantage of. I am hoping I would gain some insight from someone who is familiar with my specific needs (sort of like your primary care physician, if you have a good one) on how I can manage this disease better. 

I did use a similar program years ago for my FH, and it helped with staying on top of what were the new guidelines, for treatment, diet, exercise regimen, etc. 

Outside these, I also made sure I have my end of life directives handy, to leave at the hospital, to add to my chart, as well as my power of attorney and my funeral arrangements. Of course, I am not planning for any of this to happen, but if it should, everyone in charge of taking care of me will be so emotional as it will be, that I don't want them searching through our family safe for answers. Just something you can do now, for them, while you can, and something they won't need to worry about if the time comes. 

So, a full day or desk-bound activities while you put all these in order. Just something to be aware of. 






No comments:

Post a Comment