Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Back in That Roller Coaster: 2 Month Post-op Echo

... And I don't even like roller coasters. I guess God knows that, so He wants me to face my fears by continuously putting me on one!

I got my 2 month post-op echo done last week. The results were posted online, where I could read them earlier this week, and I had a feeling things were not "kosher", but today my cardiologist called me and confirmed. 

I have had low diastolic blood pressure since I left the hospital. Normally, they kept asking me if I am lightheaded and until about 2 weeks ago, I was not. However, since I started Phase 3 in rehab, and I have been pushing myself to do more, and last more on the treadmill, up my speed, etc, my blood pressure keeps staying low (average 100/30-something) and I have felt dizzy and light headed when I exercise. 

The echo shows aortic insufficiency, which basically means my new On-X valve is leaking. It's leaking enough, to maybe cause left ventricular insufficiency, perhaps (unless that's still left over from my heart attack while I was in the hospital healing from surgery), and could also cause low diastolic pressure, with the symptoms that I have when I work out. The echo shows left ventricular insufficiency as well as slight left atrium enlargement, as well as trivial mitral and tricuspid regurgitation. These last 2 are not of immediate concern to the cardiologist - just something to watch, but with my aortic valve history, they don't sit too well with me. 

The next step is to completely eliminate my beta blocker for a couple of weeks to see if the blood pressure comes back. If yes, that's what's causing the low BP. If no, then the aortic insufficiency is to blame. Right now, we have too many variables and we don't really know what's causing the symptoms.

In the meantime, I am not to push myself too hard. The cardiologist said to definitely keep active and move, but not to run or cause my heart to speed up. He wants to see if my diastolic pressure will come up in more normal ranges, of 50-60's and stop being in the 30's and 40's. 

I have an appointment with him in 2 weeks and then a repeat echo in another week from that. 

I am completely bummed because I was supposed to start working in 3 weeks, but with these many questions still in the air, I am not sure what will follow. 

I am of course VERY bummed that my aortic valve is still regurgitating, even after its replacement. Sure, it went from severe to mild regurgitation, but still enough to maybe cause havoc in the functioning of my "pump" (my left ventricle which pumps the blood out to the whole body). 

He did say that with this type of valve he often sees aortic regurgitation in the very beginning, which clears up after a while. He sometimes sees it not clearing up which will require re-surgery. 

My ejection fraction went way down from 70 pre-op to 55 now, but I did have an MI (myocardial infraction) on my left ventricle. Like I said: too many variables, right now. 

I can't even think about "the worst", because I feel like I don't know everything to even be there yet. The area of the aortic valve is definitely improved, so are the speeds through the valve. So, there are some pluses. However, the thickening of the atrium and ventricular insufficiency scare me, and the symptoms I feel when I exercise do too. 

I can only think of "what's next" and for now, I quit the beta blocker, take it easy and go about my days  calmly. The whole time since surgery has been somewhat stressful on a personal level, so that could have contributed to my heart not healing properly, as well. 

One day at a time, and never ever take any second for granted. 

Much health to all of you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment